RIMACT FACILITY, RAICHUR
The Common Biomedical Waste Treatment Facility at Raichur is called RIMACT FACILITY, Common bio-medical waste treatment facility is a set up where bio-medical waste, generated from a number of health units is imparted necessary treatment to reduce adverse effect that this waste may pose, the treated waste finally be send for disposal in a landfill of for recycling process .
- Aim of RIMACT facility to cater all Healthcare Establishments (HCEs) of Raichur city and will extend its services to other HCEs in the district and neighboring districts as well.
- The facility at presents designed to treats over 1000kgs of biomedical waste per day from about 260 HCEs having over 3000 beds and also from 200 non- bedded establishments.
- Aim to create awareness among the general public regarding Bio-Medical Waste (BMW), its hazards and methods of mitigation.
- To train healthcare workers regarding methodology of proper Bio-medical waste Management (BMWM) in their Health Care Establishments (HCEs)
- To set up a completely operational, model, common facility for Bio- Medical Waste Collection , Transportation, Treatment and Disposal facility in Raichur.
- To run the Common Healthcare waste Management Facility (RIMACT) so created, in an environmentally sustainable and economically viable manner.
- To prepare Educational materials regarding Bio-Medical Waste Management and disseminate them through training programmes, workshops and the media to other common facilities entrepreneurs.
- The facility aims at collection, transportation, storage, treatment and disposal of biomedical waste from about 5000 beds in the northern districts of Karnataka.
Goals of RIMACT facility
- Waste minimization
- Segregation at Source
- Disposal of biomedical waste in an eco-friendly and technologically sound way
- Training of the staff involved in BMWM
- Creation of public awareness
- Economically viable management of the RIMACT - Facility
3 different committees are form for RIMACT administration:
- District Co-ordination Committee: headed by Deputy Commissioner Other members are KPCB, CMC, HWFW, and IMA
- Bio medical waste management Committee( IMA Base ): Chairman, secretary and 15 IMA members (Governing body)
- RIMACT Facility committee: (Executive body).President IMA, Secretary, Chairman BMWMC, Secretary BMWM and Operator
The RIMACT facility has
- One specially fabricated vehicles for the transportation of biomedical waste from the HCEs to the facility.
- On site cold storage facility for storing the bio-medical waste in a safe manner before treatment.
- Treatment facilities like the Incinerator, Autoclaves, a Metal Sharps Manager Shredder and an ETP for treatment of waste water generated at the facility.
- Secured landfill, deep burial pits and composting pits for disposal of the waste after treatment
- Eco friendly techniques like using wax coated paper bags for collection and treatment of soiled waste to facilitate its sterilization and composting
- Plantation at the site.
- Cleaned and shredded waste for supplementing the system.
Treatment of BMW at the RIMACT site
Treatment of BMW at RIMACT site will be done as per the schedule 1&2 of Rule 5 of Biomedical Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 1998 and subsequent amendments thereof taken along with CPCB guidelines.To ensure the efficacy of the treatment, the project will aim at achieving 100% segregation of waste at source i.e. at the HCEs and other medical and research establishments.
Sources: Indian Medical Association Raichur BMWM Desk
Click on this Liks will open website in a seperate browser